September 24, 2012

As Told By Ginger

You know if there are times when I felt like I am at my most uncertain point,
it will be this year.
This is the year that I will be graduating from uni,
the year I will hopefully be getting my Permanent Residency in Australia,
the year I will be hopelessly thrown into the work force.
This is it.

And at times like these, there is surprisingly one thing that can ease my mind.
It's this girl right here.
Ginger and her trusty journal
It was how she faced her problems, and how she wrote about them that made me feel so.. normal.
I felt like the producers of the show must have peered into my life somehow,
because everything that she went through, I went through as well.

And today was one of those days where I felt like nothing is okay.
And I watched the show all over again, and at the end of it, I felt better.

I felt like I was in junior high school again.
I felt like I was just 14, waiting for my mom to tell me dinner is ready.
I am 21.

Some notable quotes from the show:

"All at once, heartbreaking and cathartic. For as we well know, if one holds on too tightly to the past, there can truly be no embracing the future."

"Maybe it takes something you used to want in the past to point out the goodness of what you have. Maybe we get bored with stuff because we put so much importance in things that are new."

"There’s a big difference between the things we want and the things we wish for. The things we want are usually pretty superficial: a new outfit, an invitation to some cool kid’s party. But when we dare to make a wish, it’s usually for something more important, and sometimes more allusive. The kind of thing that you can’t really control, but you hope will come true…"

"Sometimes we want something so bad, we practically write the script on how it should go, even if we know better. There’s no such thing as the perfect family or the perfect turkey or the perfect gravy. There are always lumps. But why do lumps have to be bad? Maybe instead of trying so hard to create the ideal holiday we should embrace the not-so-perfect ‘cause sometimes it’s the imperfections that make the holiday memories that you really cherish."


1 comment: